I have had this urge deep within to make me a list of things that bring me joy, and concentrate on them for this week. Now, this isn't a 'gratitude" list, but actual things I do in my day to day life that brings me true joy.
Definition of JOY
1a : the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : delight b : the expression or exhibition of such emotion : gaiety
2: a state of happiness or felicity : bliss
3: a source or cause of delight
There are things that WE can do to harbour this emotion, state of happiness, and enjoy the source of delight! God brings this feeling upon us, when we truly are in His will, and allowing Him to lead. In other words, if you live a life under the direction of God, soon you will begin to feel this feeling of joy when you are doing some of your everyday, or even once a year things. I wanted to make my list, and felt an urgency to do so and to share. Not to share what brings me joy ~ but to share in a way that encourages you to find what brings you joy.
1. A fresh bed : There is NOTHING more enjoyable after a long day to crawl into freshly laundered bedding! The sweet smell, the cool feel. Love it! I usually do bedding once a week, and have even considered changing bedding twice a week, just for this simple pleasure!
2. Cooking and Baking: Preparing a meal, or special treat for my family brings me joy. The ability that God has given us to follow simple directions, is amazing. The smile on their faces, the simple "Mom your the best cook! Even better then Saltgrass (our favorite family restaurant)!". The only times I seem to not enjoy cooking/baking, is when I am focused on myself ~ and feeling the opposite of joy.
3. Sitting with a warm cup of something, and reading God's word! There are times I may come away from this perplexed and a bit confused (simply because I want more details then is sometimes offered), but there is nothing to awaken your spirit of joy then to spend some quality quiet time with God.
4. Prayer. Prayer for me brings this spirit of joy that cannot be replaced by anything else. It is pure communication with God, and often times, I walk away a new being. A simple mind.
5. Reading: I love to read. Nonfiction, fiction (christian fiction please), poetry, etc.
6. Exercising: Not excessively, but enough to get my blood pumping, and some strength building going. I do not exercise everyday, and to be honest, yesterday was the first day that I did in weeks. It felt good! I am truly a believer that God created our bodies to move, that's why our knees bend, and our hearts have the ability to speed up and slow back down.
I am sure this list can go on and on. An empty laundry basket brings me joy, because it means my family has clean clothes and I have been productive. The smiles and giggles in my classroom that is wrapped around the amazement of what a three year old is capable of learning is amazing! THAT brings me joy!
Today, my focus is on nothing else but JOY!