I have baked many different chocolate cakes. I have always resorted to going back to a box cake because it seemed no matter what I did I didn't enjoy the ones from scratch. They were often either flat on favor or dry. Until now! This chocolate cake is so moist and rich! It is sure to be one of those "go to" recipes no matter what you changed! (I made a basic chocolate icing to go on top, but it would be great with a caramel pecan topping, or even just a dusting of powder sugar.) With Thanksgiving, Christmas and many potlucks coming up ~ this is a GREAT go to cake to make that will woo a crowd!
2 c flour
2 c Sugar
1/2 c Baking Cocoa (I like Hershey's)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c oil
1 c buttermilk
1 c hot water
1. Spray a 13x9 pan with nonstick spray. Preheat oven to 350*
2. In a large bowl add in all of your dry ingredients and whisk until well mixed.
3. Add in oil, eggs, buttermilk and whisk again until well combined.
4. Add in hot water. YES your batter will look a bit thin, but trust me! It will be fabulous in the end. DO not skip this step!
5. Bake in oven for 38 to 42 minutes or until cooked and cake springs back at touch. Watch the center. When it is set and springs back. your done!
6. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
1/2 c butter softened
1/4 c milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 TBS cocoa
3 c Powder Sugar
Mix well in a bowl, pour over cake!